Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> And, I'm sure this has been asked and answered a billion times
>> already, but why *don't* we have a real bug tracking system?
>

> Because none of the core developers will use it, so bugs would be
> added, but never removed ...

Last time it came up I thought the problem was that there was not a
consensus on *which* bugtracker to use.

Incidentally, I'm not advocating we use bugzilla (if anything I think
I'd lean towards using RT), but this seems like a good opportunity to
note that as of a week or two ago bugzilla's HEAD branch supports using
PostgreSQL as its backing store, and this will be maintained.

> Also, how many 'bugs' have we seen go through the lists that someone
> hasn't jump'd on and fixed in a couple of days?  We have a long list
> of 'TODO' items, but could anyone generate a list of "known bugs"?

Bug tracking systems are used to track more than just bugs ... they are
often used to track enhancements, support requests, and other tasks.
GForge (and hence pgfoundry) provides each project by default with
several trackers, one for each of these classes. But then, as a
pgfoundry admin you know that, right? :-)

cheers

andrew