Re: bitmap scans, btree scans, and tid order - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: bitmap scans, btree scans, and tid order
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> Would you take a patch that retained the optimized executions of plans
> returning 1 tuple and also fixed the random heap problem?

Can you elaborate on what you're proposing? Obviously sorted b+-tree
output is important for a lot more than just min()/max(). I don't see an
obvious way to produce sorted output from a bitmap tree index scan
without requiring an additional sort step (which would be rather
pointless -- the whole point of the optimization is to avoid an
additional sort).

-Neil