Re: Inheritance planner CPU and memory usage change since 9.3.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Inheritance planner CPU and memory usage change since 9.3.2
Date
Re: Inheritance planner CPU and memory usage change since 9.3.2  (Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
>> Well, append_rel_list has an AppendRelInfo for every RTE and that
>> contains a List (translated_vars) which in turn contains a Var node
>> for every column.  I'm not sure how that compares to the RTE itself.

> RTEs also have a per-column component, namely the lists of column alias
> names.

... although I see that range_table_mutator doesn't bother to copy/change
the column alias substructure.  (Wonder if that gives rise to any
observable EXPLAIN bugs...)  But it still seems like the append_rel_list
shouldn't be all that much bulkier than all the other crap that gets
generated inside this loop.  We're not doing anything at all to reclaim
space consumed inside subquery_planner, and you'd think that would be
a lot.

By the by, the tablesample additions to range_table_mutator are obviously
broken.