Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
> <tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no> writes:
>
>> max_connections = 1000
>
> Do you actually have anywhere near this number of processes? What is your
> setting for work_mem? Keep in mind every process could use as much as
> work_mem
> and actually it's possible to use that much several times over.
>
> Also, what is your maintenance_work_mem and do you have many vacuums or
> other
> such commands running at the time?
>
> 1,000 processes is a large number of processes. You may be better off
> re-architecting to run fewer processes simultaneously. But if that's not
> possible you'll have to keep it in mind to tune other things properly.

The application only needs about 20 connections under normal situations,
but might need up to 100 in some situations, f.ex. if there is much
latency and new connections arrive before another is finished.

I could certainly reduce the number to 100 or 50, but do you think that
would help with this problem.

regards

thomas