Re: Partitioning / Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John A Meinel
Subject Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alex Turner wrote:
> Ok - my common sense alarm is going off here...
>
> There are only 6.446 billion people worldwide.  100 Billion page views
> would require every person in the world to view 18 pages of yahoo
> every day.  Not very likely.
>
> http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
> suggests that there are around 1 billion people actualy on the internet.
>
> That means each and every person on the internet has to view 100 pages
> per day of yahoo.
>
> pretty unlikely IMHO.  I for one don't even use Yahoo ;)
>
> 100 million page views per day suggests that 1 in 100 people on the
> internet each viewed 10 pages of a site.  Thats a pretty high
> percentage if you ask me.

In general I think your point is valid. Just remember that it probably
also matters how you count page views. Because technically images are a
separate page (and this thread did discuss serving up images). So if
there are 20 graphics on a specific page, that is 20 server hits just
for that one page.

I could easily see an image heavy site getting 100 hits / page. Which
starts meaning that if 1M users hit 10 pages, then you get 1M*10*100 = 1G.

I still think 100G views on a single website is a lot, but 100M is
certainly possible.

John
=:->

Attachment