Re: New Contrib Build? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: New Contrib Build?
Date
Re: New Contrib Build?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: New Contrib Build?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: New Contrib Build?  (David Walker <david@cosmicfires.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Hey, I can see a way for /contrib to become a lot better option for
>stuff-we're-not-sure-whether-to-include.

First, I *really* wish we'd call it something else. Contrib conveys
"unsupported" to people. Maybe we should call it "modules" or something
like that.

>What if we could build contrib modules through a build-time switch for
>PostgreSQL?   Like,
>
>./configure --with-perl --with-dblink --with-newsysviews
>
>This would seem a *lot* more user friendly to me, and easier on the package
>builders.  What's the technical obstacle to it?

I honestly don't see that it buys a lot. (and the technical obstacle is
that there's a maintenance cost, if nothing else).

>Also, I think that /contrib modules should have documentation included in the
>main docs, probably as an appendix.

No, not as an appendix, please. Again, that gives the wrong impression.
Let's add another main section on optional modules.

cheers

andrew