Re: PGSQL Capacity - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John A Meinel
Subject Re: PGSQL Capacity
Date
List pgsql-performance
bouchia.nazha@free.fr wrote:
> Hello
>
> How can i know a capacity of a pg database ?
> How many records my table can have ?
> I saw in a message that someone have 50 000 records it's possible in a table ?
> (My table have 8 string field (length 32 car)).
> Thanks for your response.
>

> Nanou

The capacity for a PG database is just the limit of how much disk space
you have. There are people who have 100 million or even up to a billion
rows in one table. If you are in the billions you have to take some care
about OID wraparound, but at the very least the maximum number of rows
in one table is at least 2Billion.

With 8 string fields and 32 chars each, if they are all filled, you will
take about (32+4)*8 = 324 + overhead bytes each, so I would estimate
about 400 per. If we add a whole lot to be safe, and say 1k per row, you
can fit 1Million rows in 1GB of disk space. There is more taken up by
indexes, etc.

Generally, you are disk limited, not limited by Postgres.

John
=:->

Attachment