Re: Thanks for insights into internal design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Thanks for insights into internal design
Date
List pgsql-general
That's fine for a system like access or DBASE, but you should never be making queries that large for
a production application.
Access or DBASE or any other local FILE based system will not have any problems bringing back 1 million
records because it does not have to bring the records across the wire via TCP/IP.

You should alway limit queries by a date range or at least implement a paging system.
250,000 to 1 million rows is also going to suck up a huge amount of system memory on the client side.

It does not seem like you are really catching on to the concept of a client/server based system.
It does not matter if there is a billion rows because you should NEVER be letting a end user bring back
the full amount anyway.  Think about it.

Postgresql is not a local file based system like Access or Dbase, you can't use the same testing methods
or you will be in for a world of hurt.