Inserting Using RowType - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Greg Lindstrom
Subject Inserting Using RowType
Date
Re: Inserting Using RowType  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
Re: Inserting Using RowType  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
Is it possible to INSERT data into a table using a rowtype data type?  I
have a long (~5000 byte, 300 field) record *which I did not design* that
needs to be loaded into a table.  In my plsql function I accept a line
from a data file.  I have declared a ib837 variable to be of
my_table%rowtype and go about assigning each field to the ib837 record
using substr on the input field (yes, that's 329 rows, sigh).  What I
would then like to do is:

INSERT INTO my_table ib837;

Where the ib837 is of type my_table%rowtype.  Is this possible?  Is
there another -- easier/better -- way to load these record into the
table?  The input record is fixed-width, though it does not contain all
of the fields in the table (I add a timestamp and an id column).

Thanks for your help,
--greg

--
Greg Lindstrom               501 975.4859 (office)
Senior Programmer            501 219-4455 (fax)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."  W.W.