Re: blob storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: blob storage
Date
List pgsql-general
Travis Harris wrote:
> I would like to use P* to store files.  These files will probably
> range from 500K to 2 MB in size and there will be thousands upon
> thousands of them.  I was wondering how P* stores blobs,

Either as bytea or a large object.

if it is all
> in one file, or if each blob is sored in it's own file.  The reason
> being, I know that windows has a 2 GB limit on files,

PostgreSQL automatically splits its files into 1GB segments also I think
the 2GB limit is only on FAT32 not NTFS but I am not sure.

  and if they are
> not stored as their own files, I'll hit my limit FAST... and it'll do
> me no good...  If this is going to be a problem, does anyone have any
> suggestions?

bytea works well for small files as long as you are not going to do a :

select * from foo

where foo is going to return 500,000 records all with 500k files. If you
are going to do something like that use large objects intead.

Sincerely,
Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting