Re: What does "tuple concurrently updated" mean? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: What does "tuple concurrently updated" mean?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
>
>>So - does "tuple concurrently updated" make sense for "analyze"?
>
> Yeah, it's entirely possible, if you have a background process that
> might issue analyzes too (do you use autovacuum?).  The error comes when
> two sessions concurrently try to update the same row in pg_statistic.
> I've looked at preventing it, but the cure seems worse than the disease
> --- we don't really want ANALYZE to take any strong locks on the table,
> and in any case all you are losing is presumably-near-duplicate stats
> from one session or the other.

Hm... could this be turned into a warning then? I'll fix this
by ignoring db-errors when issuing analyze, but I belive this
will bite more people...

Anyway, thanks for your fast reply - I'll sleep much better,
now that I know the cause for this ;-)

greetings, Florian Pflug

Attachment