Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

>This furthermore points to the "right answer" on this being that
>individuals that want to express their displeasure about certain
>political matters ought to simply do so.
>
>Expecting the PostgreSQL project to "have an opinion" when it's not an
>individual is a bit silly.

I think at the bare minimum, I think that we need to have a statement on
the web site (more than just a news item) explaining the whole ARC to 2Q
issue and why we didn't go and ask IBM's permission first.  This is a
testimonial against software patents and is a stand against them, but
more subtle than many here might want to see.

I also think we should go and ask IBM now for permission for a number of
reasons:
1)  It will open the door to go back to ARC if we want.
2)  It will provide us with proper contacts in case other patent issues
arise in the future.
3)  May provide a good way out for IBM regarding publicity they have
received from it.
4)  May provide us with some form of immunity from future patent
lawsuits against other parties.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers.
Metatron Technology Consulting