Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-www
>>We are not building an artificial heart here, we are building a database
>>and databases have been around for decades.
>

> Well, ARC seems like a new database idea, at least in the past few
> years.  Are you saying ARC is either "ridiculous" or has prior art?  I
> know 2Q is similar, but not identical, and ARC does have some small
> improvements over it.

In this case I would say it is both. 2Q should (if not is) be considered
prior art. Otherwise it would not have been as plug-n-play as it was.
Note I am not making light of the work that it took, I couldn't have
done it and I am glad that someone else had to.

Secondly I would say that an ARC patent is ridiculous based on the above
experience.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting