Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
List pgsql-www
> The fact this discussion has come up so rarely before indicates it is
> not a major issue for the community.
>
> As I said, come up with some wording that everyone can agree to and
> let's at least make a new item and see how it goes.

Well my vote is for more of a sledgehammer than a feather in this
regard. What does everyone else think is the real question.

> I personally know the patent system is a mess, but it is not an
> overriding issue in my work with PostgreSQL.

Your work with PostgreSQL (AFAIK) wouldn't run into the problem. People
like Berkus, myself, EnterpriseDB, Greenplumn, SRA (Yes I know they
employ you), PgSQL, Inc., are who are going to run into the problem.

All due respect but perhaps it is worth considering the issue as a total
community versus just how it affects you.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake