Regular expression. How to disable ALL meta-character in a regular expression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Gagnon
Subject Regular expression. How to disable ALL meta-character in a regular expression
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I have a web interface with offers a search field.  This search field
will look for the string X in 12 different columns.  If the string is
found anywhere I return the row.

The problem is that the user is eable to put spacial character like : [*
This create invalid regular expression and make my sql crash.
ICNUM~* #descriptionOrKeyword#

Is there a way to disable all meta-character.  I found this in the
manual .. but haven't found example :-(:
: ....with ***=, the rest of the RE is taken to be a literal string,
with all characters
considered ordinary characters.

I know my question si basic . but I search around and haven't found so
far .. please help :-)

Thanks
/David