Is PQexecParams() simply a wrapper function? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Corbyn
Subject Is PQexecParams() simply a wrapper function?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

I'm currently using PQexecParams() as part of a bridge to allow Postgres to be used in another programming language.
Notspecifying the OIDs simplifies things (for the end user), but bytea params still cause headaches, since they need to
beformatted differently and I receive the data as a (char *) internally, but can't really infer a type myself, at least
notreliably.

It looks like PQprepare(), PQdescribePrepared() and PQexecPrepared() could be used to allow me to check if any of the
paramsrepresent a BYTEAOID, then escape only those params. This seems like 3 round-trips to the server, however. That
said,I believe PQexecParams() is doing a similar thing, in that it internally prepares a statement, then executes it (2
roundtrips). Or am I needlessly concerning myself over microseconds here?

Cheers,

Chris