Re: Overload - Mailing list pgsql-general

From peter pilsl
Subject Re: Overload
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Krompass wrote:

Does PostgreSQL offer information
> on the additional workload (execution costs) caused by a query? In case
> it does not: Does anybody have an idea how I get an estimate for the
> execution costs before executing a query?

I cant add to you question, but two nightly thoughts:

i) if you SQL-server is tortured by some application, its very likely
that you have only a limited range of different select-types. You could
measure the exact costs manually and use this values for your problem.

ii) The workload might depend on you specific system, on your RAM,
harddisk etc.  On one system CPU-speed might be the bottleneck, on
others the RAM and so on. And the cost for a query on your system is not
always the same. Depending on swap, cache and so on.
Maybe you should consider having a second SQL-server to lower load.

best,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl