Getting the number or row returned by a select. Alway tought it was not possible until I say pgAdmin who gives it - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From David Gagnon
Subject Getting the number or row returned by a select. Alway tought it was not possible until I say pgAdmin who gives it
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi all,

  In my system I alway do a select X from Y.  followed by a  select
count() from Y to get the number of row in my first request.  I heard it
was possible to get the total number of rows from a select in a
VB6/MSSQL env.

Today I saw in PGAdminIII that it gives the count(*) from any query that
return more that 100 lines:  This query return more than 100 rows (12234
rows) do you want to display them.

So did I miss something obvious.  Is it possible to get the total number
of row returned from a query without doing another select.

Thanks to confirm that :-)

Have a goog week-end
/David