Re: "UNION ALL" is failing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "UNION ALL" is failing
Date
List pgsql-general
Joy Smith <freestuffanddeals@gmail.com> writes:
> column types are the same so I don't know why this 'union all' is failing.

It's a syntax error --- got nothing to do with column types.

I think what you need to do is parenthesize the first subquery.  ORDER
BY isn't allowed to be attached to a UNION subquery otherwise.  You're
probably going to need to parenthesize the second subquery too ---
otherwise it will think that that ORDER BY applies to the UNION result,
not the subquery.

I don't offhand remember the syntactic precedence of WITH versus UNION,
but trying to attach WITHs to the subqueries might be another reason to
need parentheses.

            regards, tom lane