Re: Foreign key slows down copy/insert - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marko Ristola
Subject Re: Foreign key slows down copy/insert
Date
List pgsql-performance
About the foreign key performance:

Maybe foreign key checks could be delayed into the COMMIT phase.
In that position, you could check, that there are lots of foreign key
checks
for each foreign key pending, and do the foreign key check for an area
or for the whole table, if it is faster.

I have heard, that the database must be in consistent state after COMMIT,
but it does not have necessarily to be okay inside a transaction.

1. COMMIT wanted
2. If there are lots of foreign key checks pending, do either an area
foreign key check
(join result must be 0 rows), or a full table join.
3. If all foreign key checks are okay, complete the COMMIT operation.
4. If a foreign key check fails, go into the ROLLBACK NEEDED state.

Maybe Tom Lane meant the same.

set option delayed_foreign_keys=true;
BEGIN;
insert 1000 rows.