Re: Name that project contest!] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Name that project contest!]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> Another option is Laereth.  Laereth is another name for Yggdrassil,
>> the world tree which stands above the Nine Worlds.
>

> I like this one ...

I have a lot of interesting analysis I have done on the idea of the
World Tree in Norse myth, but this is too off-topic to be posted here.
If people want a more detailed analysis on what the significance is,
feel free to email me off-list.

>> Gandalf.  Name means "Wand Elf" and is only mentioned in the Norse
>> poem Voluspa.  Nothing more is known about him.  Never mind....
>

> Most ppl would associate Gandalf with LOTR ...

I mostly included it as a joke.  Actually Tolkein took a lot of names
for dwarves and other characters from a section of the old Norse poem
Voluspa known as the "Catalog of Dwarves."  You can read a translation
of Voluspa here: http://www.northvegr.org/lore/poetic/001_01.php#1

The Catalog of Dwarves starts on the 10th strophe.  But the entire poem
is worth reading.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers