Re: Functionscan estimates - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Functionscan estimates
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Not too many releases ago, there were several columns in pg_proc that
> were intended to support estimation of the runtime cost and number of
> result rows of set-returning functions.  I believe in fact that these
> were the remains of Joe Hellerstein's thesis on expensive-function
> evaluation

FYI, Hellerstein's thesis on xfunc optimization is available here:

     ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/tech-reports/reports/1996/tr1304.ps.Z

There's also a paper on this subject by Hellerstein that was published
in Transactions on Database Systems:

     http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~jmh/miscpapers/todsxfunc.pdf

I haven't had a chance to digest either one yet, but it might be worth a
look.

-Neil