Re: very slow after a while... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: very slow after a while...
Date
List pgsql-general
Costin Manda wrote:
>   I think I found the problem. I was comparing wrongly some values and
> based on that, every time the script was run (that means once every 5
> minutes) my script deleted two tables and populated them with about 70
> thousand records.
>
>   I still don't know why that affected the speed of the database (even
> when the script was not running) and how to fix it. I have a script that
> vacuums full and reindexes the database every day. Is there something
> else I must do?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but if you vacuum at the
wrong time that can cause problems. I've shot myself in the foot before
now doing something like:

DELETE FROM big_table
VACUUM ANALYSE big_table
COPY lots of rows into big_table

Of course, the planner now thinks there are zero rows in big_table.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd