Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Will LaShell
Subject Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2005, at 9:01 PM, Steve Poe wrote:
>
>> Now, we need to purchase a good U320 RAID card now. Any suggestions
>> for those  which run well under Linux?
>

> Not sure if it works with linux, but under FreeBSD 5, the LSI MegaRAID
> cards are well supported.  You should be able to pick up a 320-2X with
> 128Mb battery backed cache for about $1k.  Wicked fast... I'm suprized
> you didn't go for the 15k RPM drives for a small extra cost.

Wow, okay,  so  I'm not sure where everyone's email went,  but I got
over a weeks worth of list emails at once.

Several of you have sent me requests on where we purchased our systems
at.  Compsource was the vendor,   www.c-source.com  or
www.compsource.com.    The sales rep   we have is  Steve Taylor  or you
can talk to the sales manager  Tom.    I've bought hardware from them
for the last 2 years and I've been very pleased.  I'm sorry wasn't able
to respond sooner.

Steve,  The LSI MegaRAID cards are where its at.  I've had -great- luck
with them over the years. There were a few weird problems with a series
awhile back where the linux driver needed tweaked by the developers
along with a new bios update.  The 320 series is just as Vivek said,
wicked fast. Very strong cards.  Be sure though when you order it to
specificy the battery backup either with it,  or make sure you buy the
right one for it. There are a couple of options with battery cache on
the cards that can trip you up.

Good luck on your systems!   Now that I've got my email problems
resolved  I'm definitely more than help to give any information you all
need.