Re: Tracking row updates - race condition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Adriaanse
Subject Re: Tracking row updates - race condition
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the input everyone.  I think Harald's approach will work
well, so I'm planning on doing what he suggested, with a few
modifications.  I think I can still use a sequence-backed INTEGER rather
than TIMESTAMP, and have the trigger that sets the revision to NULL also
NOTIFY the daemon that will update the revision to
nextval('revision_sequence_name') of any updates, rather than running it
from a cron job every X minutes.  The updates sent to the client would
also include rows with revision = NULL so that the client would not lag
behind, at the expense of sometimes having updates sent twice to the client.

Thanks again,

Alex