Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> writes:
>

>>hmm... I think I might have made a false assumption that
>>the locale string would contain the character encoding.
>>

>You certainly cannot assume that.  Would that it were so easy to find
>out the character set for a locale :-(.
>
>There's some code in initdb that you might emulate, though I can't say
>that I trust it a whole lot.

Me either. On FC3 I saw this the other day, haven't had time to dig into
what's going on:

[andrew inst]$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
[andrew inst]$ bin/initdb floobl
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "andrew".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale "en_US.UTF-8"
Rerun initdb with the -E option.
Try "initdb --help" for more information.

cheers

andrew