Re: configure sets GCC=yes for clang - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: configure sets GCC=yes for clang
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I've been doing some experiments with compilers, and I've noticed that
> when using clang configure still ends up setting
> GCC='yes'
> which seems somewhat strange.

I'm pretty sure that's intentional.  clang tries to be a gcc-alike,
and mostly succeeds, other than variations in command line options.
It's better to set GCC=yes and deal with the small discrepancies
than not set it and have to deal with clang as a whole separate case.

> FWIW I've noticed because when building
> with "-Ofast" (yeah, I'm just playing with stuff) it fails like this:

> checking whether the C compiler still works... yes
> configure: error: do not put -ffast-math in CFLAGS

> which is in $GCC=yes check, and clang doesn't even have such option.

Well, the error is correct, even if clang doesn't spell the switch the
same way: you enabled fast-math optimizations and we don't want that.

[ wanders away wondering how meson handles this stuff ... ]