Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2021-10-26 at 16:02 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> We're talking about benchmarking tools

What I had in mind was something much less formal, like a self-
contained repro case of a performance problem.

  ... simple schema
  ... data load
  ... maybe build some indexes
  ... maybe set hints
  VACUUM ANALYZE;
  CHECKPOINT;

I'm not saying it's a very strong use case, but at least for me, it's
kind of a habit to throw in a CHECKPOINT after a quick data load for a
test, even if it might not matter for whatever I'm testing.

I guess I can change my habit to use a function instead, but then
what's the point of the syntax?

Should we just add a builtin function pg_checkpoint(), and deprecate
the syntax?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis