Re: timestamp precision - can I control precision at select time - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christoph Haller
Subject Re: timestamp precision - can I control precision at select time
Date
List pgsql-sql
"mroyce@gmail.com" wrote:

> I have a database with several tables that use timestamp without time
> zone type. I upgraded from an older pgsql and have code that does not
> expect the precision in the select output. Is there a way I can get the
> effect of zero precision without modifying all the tables?
>
> The docs say it uses "default precision" as set in the "timestamp
> literal". I wasn't able to find docs describing what literals are. If
> there's a way I can set this to zero precision for everything, that'd
> save me a bunch of time.
>
> with thanks,
> Royce

I was facing the same obstacle.
The only cure I've found was either
SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ;        timestamptz
------------------------------2005-03-22 09:43:51.05193+01
(1 row)
SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP::TIMESTAMP(0) ;     timestamp
---------------------2005-03-22 09:44:11
(1 row)

resp. change column types to TIMESTAMP(0)
But I assume you've found this already by yourself.

Regards, Christoph