Re: Query performance problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tillotson
Subject Re: Query performance problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Phil,

Just about any query will usually take a few milliseconds (try SELECT 1;
to see the absolute lowest), and so 12 ms is probably about as good as
you can  get.  For my own part, I consider 50 ms good enough for any
query that is not run inside of a loop.  If you want to write suitably
efficient code/SQL for this, I suggest filling your tables with more
data (say, 10 times as much as you have now) and then see how the
timings work.

Are you already working with what you would consider a "typical" data
size?  Or is it smaller than what someone would typically have?

If you post any more timings on this list, please post the EXPLAIN
ANALYZE as well.  This allows us to see what plan the planner picked,
how much time each step took, and how many rows were actually affected.
To get the EXPLAIN ANALYZE, just type EXPLAIN ANALYZE <your query goes
here> and copy the output.

Regards,

Paul Tillotson