Re: 2 questions about types - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: 2 questions about types
Date
List pgsql-general
Jason Tesser wrote:
> 1. i have a few funcions that depend on a type.  i don't want to have to srop every function just so I can drop the
typeand recreat everything.
> Is there a better way to do this in Postgres?

Not really - if you're redefining the type then the functions really
have to be recreated. I try to keep related objects in the same file, so
I can re-run them all together.

> 2.  The reason I had to create my own type was because record didn't ork for me when I was selecting data across
multipletables.
> I thought it should be dynamic but it only seems to work if i select all data in one table.  I need 2-3 columns from
multiple
> tables.
> Is there a better way to do this in Postgres?

Could you give more details of what you're trying? RECORD variables in
functions should work fine.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd