Re: comparing 2 tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: comparing 2 tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
U K Laxmi wrote:
> I've two Ms Access tables with the same structure.

This is a PostgreSQL list - you'd probably be better using a
Microsoft-Access list.

[snip]
> Here what we should observe is, 1st row in table 1 not
> present in table2. 2nd row in table1 is modified in
> table2. 3rd row in table 2 is not present in table1.
> So, after comparing table 1 and table2, the
> differences are captured as old and new. Old referes
> to table1 data and new referes to table2 data. The
> rows that are equal in both table 1 and table 2 should
> not be captured in table 3.
>
> Is itpossible to do this in Ms Access? If so, how.

In general terms, with MS-Access, I'd build separate queries for each
step. So you'd want a query for:
1. Reset table3
2. Insert to table3 rows in table1 and not in table2
3. Insert to table3 rows in table2 and not in table1
...etc...

HTH
--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd