Re: Logging VACUUM activity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jack Orenstein
Subject Re: Logging VACUUM activity
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 17:12 -0500, jao@geophile.com wrote:
>
>>I'm using postgresql 7.4.6 on RH9. My application includes a
>>long-running Java process responsible for database access. I'd like to
>>have this Java process initiate a daily VACUUM and, one way or
>>another, log VACUUM output.
>>
>>- Is there some way to get VACUUM output via JDBC?
>>
>>- If not, how can I get VACUUM output in the postgres logs? Setting
>>log_min_error_statement to INFO doesn't seem to have any effect.
>

> You can run the query vacuum verbose.

I tried that. Whether I issue the VACUUM VERBOSE call through JDBC
or psql, I don't see anything in the postgres log file at all, even
with log_min_error_statement set to info.

In psql, I see the VACUUM VERBOSE output in the psql session itself,
but I need to log the output. I could spawn a psql session if necessary,
but ideally I'd just run VACUUM VERBOSE from JDBC and get the output
in the postgres log file.

Jack Orenstein