Re: Nvim as external editor in psql as Postgres root user - .vimrc(environment?) issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Nvim as external editor in psql as Postgres root user - .vimrc(environment?) issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/16/2018 10:47 AM, Victoria wrote:
> Hello; I am using PostgreSQL v.10.2 as a root user (sudo -u postgres -i) on my local Arch Linux installation.
>
> I want to use Neovim (nvim v.0.2.2) as my external editor (\e) in psql; the current default is the Arch Linux default
systemeditor, vi.

> If I add this to my ~/.psqlrc (/home/victoria/.psqlrc)
>
>    \setenv EDITOR "/usr/bin/nano"
>
> then I can use nano, no problem.
>
> However, if I replace that with
>
>    \setenv EDITOR "/usr/bin/nvim"
>
> and chown this postgres directory (to get around a .local/ permissions error that arises)
>
>    sudo chown -R postgres:victoria /var/lib/postgres
>
> when I type \e in psql I can edit in nvim.
>
> The issue I have is that as I am in a postgres environment, my user (victoria) ~/.vimrc file (I link my nvim.init
fileto it) is not being loaded, so I don't have access to my Vim/NeoVim settings.

I guess the question is why sudo -u postgres -i? You can access the
server via psql from your home directory. If you want to work as
postgres user the simplest solution would be to add the .vimrc file to
the postgres user directory.

> I tried the nvim -u "<path-to-vimrc>" type statements in my ~/.psqlrc, but that throws an error about not a valid
path(again, likely due to the Pg root environment?).

> Suggestions?  Thank you.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com