Re: signed short fd - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: signed short fd
Date
List pgsql-hackers

pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:

>>pgsql@mohawksoft.com writes:
>>

>>>That is hardly anything that I would feel comfortable with. Lets break
>>>this down into all the areas that are ambiguous:
>>>

>>There isn't anything ambiguous about this, nor is it credible that there
>>are implementations that don't follow the intent of the spec.
>>

>How do you know the intent of the spec? I have seen no meta discussion
>about the behavior of the file descriptor integer returned from open. The
>Steven's book makes no such assumptions, and the steven's book (Advanced
>Programming in the UNIX Environment) is what people reference.

My copy of APUE says on page 49: "The file descriptor returned by open
is the lowest numbered unused descriptor. This is used by some
applications to open a new file on standard input, standard output, or
standard error."

Unless someone can show there's an actual problem this discussion seems
quite pointless.

cheers

andrew