Re: pg_restore error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: pg_restore error
Date
List pgsql-general
go wrote:
> Hi All!
>
>   While restoring PG7.23 dump into PG 8.01 database
> (pg_restore -Fc -d a3 -v arz3.test.dat) i got error:
> pg_restore: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xfc3535
> CONTEXT:  COPY mytable, line 9, column post3: "¦¦ 55146/23.12.04                "
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQendcopy
> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>
>   Tell me please how to ignore all errors ?

With bad data? You can't. Are you sure the original database was UNICODE
  (UTF8) and not SQL_ASCII encoding?

Try restoring into an SQL_ASCII version 8.0 database, then you can
correct your data and repeat the dump/import. Alternatively, you could
produce a text-file of the dump and correct it with perl/awk/etc.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd