Re: partitionning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: partitionning
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark wrote:

> Actually I have a strong feeling what really _ought_ to happen here is that
> the inherited tables support in postgres, which never really worked anyways,
> should be deprecated and eventually removed. All that infrastructure should be
> repurposed into partitioned tables. That seems like it would be a nice fit.

I don't know about deprecating inheritance, but I agree with pretty much
everything Greg has said on this thread. In particular, I have felt for
several years now that the inheritance infrastructure could be used to
implement table partitioning. We're using inheritance for DIY table
partitioning on very expensive storage hardware (~$500K), and we'd be
dead in the water without it.

Joe