Re: BUG #1531: rotated log truncation broken - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: BUG #1531: rotated log truncation broken
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Markus Bertheau wrote:

> Bug reference:      1531
> Logged by:          Markus Bertheau
> Email address:      twanger@bluetwanger.de
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
> Operating system:   Linux FC3
> Details:
>
> The log truncation is broken for me. It works as advertised, and I follow
> the argumentation behind it, but for my scenario it is not working:
>
> I use the computer only in work hours; it's shut down in the night.
>
> I use the standard log rotation thing that is set up in the RPM distributed
> by the PGDG.
>
> My logs are not truncated because postgres was not running when the time
> based rotation occurs.

You probably want to look at the "anacron" package - should be installed
by default. Designed for just this sort of thing.

You should find if you log to syslog it's already rotating those files.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd