PostgreSQL not reading postgresql.conf file - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject PostgreSQL not reading postgresql.conf file
Date
List pgsql-admin
Or at least it seems that way.

I have Pg 8.0.1 from the PGDG RPMs installed in a Linux-Vserver ( which
I have used before with Pg 7.2 and 7.3 ).  I have changed the
postgresql.conf file and added/modified the listen_addresses to the
Vserver's IP.  In pgstartup.log I always see these lines after every
restart.

    LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address
    HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
    wait a few seconds and retry.
    WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "localhost"
    LOG:  logger shutting down
    LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address
    HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
    wait a few seconds and retry.
    WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "localhost"
    LOG:  logger shutting down
    LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address
    HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
    wait a few seconds and retry.
    WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "localhost"

There were(/are) some issues with localhost ( 127.0.0.1 ) and
Linux-Vservers but I have got around them before.  I just can't remember
what I did.  ( Good case of needing to do better documentation on my
part. :-)

The funny thing is the postmaster seems to be running

ps aux gives me

    postgres  7680  0.1  0.5 16708 3036 ?        S    14:49   0:02
    /usr/bin/postmast
    postgres  7684  0.0  0.3  6592 1984 ?        S    14:49   0:00
    postgres: logger
    postgres  7686  0.0  0.5 16708 3084 ?        S    14:49   0:00
    postgres: writer

I've looked through the /etc/init.d/postgresql file and don't see
anything _odd_ so it's probably a head-space issue on my part.  Clue
sticks anyone?

TIA,
Rod
--