Re: truncating table permissions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: truncating table permissions
Date
List pgsql-sql
Lynwood Stewart wrote:

>I was expecting "truncate table <tablename>" to truncate a table if I had
>delete permissions.  This does not appear to be the case.
>
>Would someone confirm this for me, or let me know what I am doing wrong.

This is the case.  You are not doing anything wrong.  There was a
discussion on this on the NOVICE list beginning on 2/22.  The subject
was "Question on TRUNCATE privileges"

At the end of the day the answer is to have the table owner create a
truncate function with SECURITY DEFINER privilege.

The following is from Tom Lane.
  See CREATE FUNCTION.  Something like (untested)
  create function truncate_my_table() returns void as  $$ truncate my_table $$ language sql security definer;
  You'd probably then revoke the default public EXECUTE  rights on this function, and grant EXECUTE only to  selected
users.

--
Kind Regards,
Keith