Re: definative way to place secs from epoc into timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Johanson
Subject Re: definative way to place secs from epoc into timestamp
Date
List pgsql-sql
>>and the fact that  I want the same value from the data base that I put
>>into it.
>

> "same" in which sense? The same absolute point in time? Or the same point
> on a calendar? Obviously if the timezone doesn't change, then the two are
> equivalent; but which one is your application actually looking for? (If
> your app is using Unix epoch times, then it's looking only at the absolute
> time and not the calendar time...)

Unix time stamps, short (int) or long res, are always supposed to GMT
based, as far as I know - I never seen anything different, except maybe
in homebrew software. So it should be both calendar and P.I.T. And you
wouldn't need the TZ storage if the date-number and number-> translation
itself takes the TZ arg so that it can localize the Human String for you.

Ken