Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>>Exceptions are probably only needed for days, e.g. "I want to
>>do backups
>>every weekday, but on Jan 1st nobody will change the tape so I don't
>>want to have it run then."
>>
>>So I'd propose an additional exception table:
>>
>>CREATE TABLE pgagent.pga_exception
>>(
>>   jexscid int4 NOT NULL,
>>   jexdate date NOT NULL,
>>   jexdorun bool,   -- run in addition to schedule if true
>

> Run in addition is easy anyway - a new schedule may be added to the
> existing job.

Ok. I was thinking of just extending an existing schedule with a simple
click for a "run additonally" exception, but this is maybe too much
effort for very rare cases.

> How about adding a simple date[] column to the schedule in which the
> user can add arbitrary 'don't run' dates?

Ok. I'm usually not designing data models using vector/array datatypes
because inter-db portability issues are always implicitely considered by
  some cells deep in my brain.
In case of exceptions, IMHO it's a bit unfortunate to use them, because
adding/deleting a single value would always mean to modify the whole
column, so I'd still prefer an additional table (jexdorun omitted).

Regards,
Andreas