Re: [HACKERS] Development Plans - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simone Brunozzi
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Development Plans
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I'd like to add my personal opinion on development plans,
not regarding the pure coding, but the contour instead.
(I'm not a real PG expert, so I'm limited to this).

As a university teacher, I feel the lack of introductory and explanatory
material for postgresql.
I think it would be really good if somebody really expert can prepare
videos and slides and share it on the web site. Possibly in english, but
with some sort of subtitles in the case of videos.

This is not just to cover the normal topics of Postgresql, but instead
also something regarding migration issues, development plannings, etc...
I mean, some sort of documentation that is not just barely how to use
it, but something derived from the direct experience in real world
applications.

I don't know if these considerations fit in the subject of this thread,
but I think that having a development path can be very valuable if that
path is shared and simply explained to "nobrainers" or normal students
and users.

Thanks

Simone

Neil Conway wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't mind seeing people be a little more vocal on the hackers list
>> about what they plan to be doing, just so that there's not duplication
>> of effort.
>

> Stuff I have done in some form that I need to finish up and submit:
>
> - GiST improvements: sane memory management, 10% scan perf. improvement
> (not sure if I'll get to WAL and page-level locking for 8.1)
>
> - CREATE TABLE AS overhaul & SQL 2003 compliance
>
> - pl/pgsql dead code checking (only for trivially-dead code)
>
> - default_with_oids=true by default
>
> - use # of CPUs at runtime to adjust spinlock behavior for UP systems
>
> Interested in looking at for 8.1 but no code yet:
>
> - PREPARE planning improvements (at the least, do the planning when we
> see the first EXECUTE, as in the fe/be protocol-level prepared statements)
>
> - various planner improvements; haven't really decided what specifically
> to do, yet
>
> - logical column ordering, and possibly repacking of physical order of
> columns to optimize disk space consumption by reducing alignment/padding
> requirements
>
> - O_DIRECT for WAL
>
> - UNIQUE predicate per SQL2003
>
> Investigated, probably not worth pursuing:
>
> - GCC PGO support. At least in GCC 3.4, PGO is sufficiently flaky it
> isn't really worth adding support for it. Maybe I'll take another look
> when GCC 4.0 is out.
>
> - futexes in PG spinlocks. Didn't solve the CS problem, perf.
> improvement possibly (?) not worth the portability headaches.
>
> (Of course, absolutely no guarantees that I actually get around to
> implementing any of this stuff, this is just what's on my mind at the
> moment...)
>
> -Neil

Ing. iunior Simone Brunozzi

WEDOIT s.a.s. - Soluzioni informatiche