Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, John,

John Allgood schrieb:
> My question is what is the best way to setup
> postgres databases on different disks. I have setup multiple postmasters
> on this system as a test. The only problem was configuring each
> databases "ie postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf".  Is there anyway in
> postgres to have everything in one cluster and have it seperated onto
> multiple drives.

Using PostgreSQL 8.0, the newly introduced "tablespaces" solve all this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

Using PostgreSQL 7.4, you can relatively easy create single databases on
different drives. However, separating out single tables or indices
involves some black symlink magic. See google and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/manage-ag-alternate-locs.html

HTH,
Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich