Re: Shouldn't non-MULTIBYTE backend refuse to start in MB database? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Shouldn't non-MULTIBYTE backend refuse to start in MB database?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Are these encodings all guaranteed to have the same collation order as
>> SQL_ASCII?

> Yes & no.

Um, I'm confused ...

>> If not, we have the same index corruption issues as for LOCALE.

> If the backend is configued with LOCALE enabled and the database is
> not configured with LOCALE, we will have a problem. But this will
> happen with/without MUTIBYTE anyway. Mutibyte support does nothing
> with LOCALE support.

Can a backend configured with MULTIBYTE and running in non-SQL_ASCII
encoding ever sort strings in non-character-code ordering, even if it
is in C locale?  I should think that such behavior is highly likely
for multibyte character sets.

If it can, then we mustn't allow a non-MULTIBYTE backend to run in
such a database, I think.