Re: Postgres performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Postgres performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
mauro wrote:
> Hi, I understand this is an super-older thread!! note: i like
> postgres and not mysql!

Hi Mauro! Whether you like it or hate it, you're in the right place to
ask questions about it.

> I'm a Postgres server user: I've postgres 7.2 and 8.0 in many servers
>  and I've tested performance Postgres vs MySQL and I see Postgres is
> very slow.

Very slow how - maxing out CPU or disk I/O?
On what hardware?
On what queries?
With how much data?
With how many connections?
What configuration changes have you made?
> But my question is: why? Cannot Postgres team make faster
>  because cannot change internal architecture? Ok, postgres supports
> SUB-query and many super-feature, but mySQL now supports it and is
> faster!

Not always, AFAICT. The four most common reasons why PG tests slower
than Mysql are:
1. You haven't configured or have misconfigured PostgreSQL.
2. You are testing a MySQL-tuned application (lots of small, simple
queries, no views, no subselects etc)
3. You are only testing one connection (try 10,20,50 simultaneous users
and see who wins then).
4. You are not testing the transaction-safe storage systems in MySQL

See if you can answer some of the questions above and I'm sure we'll be
able to get your database server running smoothly.

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd