Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>
>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>it still seems like we don't have to represent these columns explicitly
>>>in pg_attribute.
>

>>Hm, technically you might be right. Still, I like pgAdmin3 to show that
>>columns (when "show system objects" is enabled) for teaching purposes,
>>so users/newbies browsing the objects will learn "hey, there are some
>>reserved columns, they could have some meaning".
>

> Not unreasonable, but is it worth a factor of 2 in the size of
> pg_attribute?

Do we need to save space? On a DB with quite some tables I have
pg_attribute size=7.5MB, pg_class size 5.8MB (13166 pg_attribute rows
total, 5865 system columns, most tables without oids). This doesn't seem
unacceptable big to me.

Regards,
Andreas