Re: BUG #1487: Index problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: BUG #1487: Index problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom M. Yeh wrote:
> Yes, it really depends on Locale. If I created a
> database with Locale = C, the problem won't happen (at
> least so far). BTW, I forgot to mention I tested with
> some Chinese and Japanese characters.
>
> However, it raises another issue why a wrong Locale
> would damage index? It shall only affect records with
> wrong conversion, not something like '1000'.

Search the list archives for LIKE and locale - different locales have
different sorting rules. Setting locale=C makes everything simple.

With 8.0 you can define your own operator classes to tell PG it can use
an index (see ch 11.6 of the manuals). I think there are examples in the
mailing-list archives.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd