Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving varchar size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
dg@illustra.com (David Gould) writes:
> Or we might even make PQexec return as soon as the query is sent and parsed.
> It could ruturn a handle to the query that could be used to get results later.
> Perhaps a polling form might be added too:

We're way ahead of you ;-).  See last week's discussion on "Proposal
for async support in libpq" (it was only on the hackers list, not
interfaces).  I have already implemented the original proposal, though
not tested it fully.

The proposal will have to be modified some to deal with this notion
of returning multiple results from a single query.  I haven't worked
out exactly what I'd like to see, but it won't be too far different
from what David is envisioning.