Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Arne Roland
Subject Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 19:38
To: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables

> Yeah, we don't support partial indexes on catalogs, and this example
> doesn't make me feel like we ought to open that can of worms.

I asked why such an index doesn't exists already. I guess that answers it. I definitely don't want to push for supporting that, especially not knowing what it entails.

> But then maybe this function shouldn't assume there's only one match?

 I'd consider a duplication here a serious bug. That is pretty much catalog corruption. Having two children within a single child table sounds like it would break a lot of things.

That being said this function is hardly performance critical. I don't know whether throwing an elog indicating what's going wrong here would be worth it.

Regards
Arne